Amoenus and IKLECTIK present,
Immersive Audio Workshop
Sunday 4 December 2022 | 11am – 6pm (lunch-break 2pm)
Tickets: £75 https://amoenus.co.uk/immersiveaudioworkshop
In this introductory 1 full-day workshop you will learn the theory and practice of working with spatial audio technology. The workshop will take place at IKLECTIK on the AMOENUS 3D sound system (a semispherical array of 20 speakers)
- Aesthetic and experiential value of spatial sound in the arts
- Insights into different applications of 3D sound technologies (field recording, spatial sound composition, immersive installations and live performances)
- Basics of ambisonics & binaural audio (recording, playback) with demonstrations
- Perceptual considerations of spatial hearing
- Processing ambisonics recordings
- Interfacing with spatial audio tools
- Envelop for Live: a collection of free, open-source immersive audio production tools that work with Ableton Live 10/11 Suite
Following the overview of Envelop for Live, you will work on your short piece using binaural audio (allowing you to hear spatialised sound in headphones). All pieces will be played back on the sound system in a feedback session at the end.
Working knowledge of Ableton Live
A laptop with the following software installed:
- Ableton Live 11 Suite, available as a free trial for 90 days here: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
- Envelop for Live: https://www.envelop.us/software
- IEM Suite (free): https://plugins.iem.at/
- A pair of headphones, ideally over-ear
- While we can provide example tracks for you to work with, we suggest that you bring your own sound files for the composition.
100% refund for cancellations done 48 hours after booking
50% refund for cancellations up to two weeks before the workshop
0% refund for cancellations in the two weeks leading to the workshop
Please check the system requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that your laptop is capable of running the software.
This workshop will be led by AMOENUS founder Christian Duka.
Photo by Alice Underwood
Christian is a sound artist/designer, immersive audio specialist and higher education lecturer. After a month long residency at MONOM 4D Sound in Berlin he curated UR: Human Presence, an interdisciplinary immersive performance presented at Aures London. He has since been active as immersive art curator and 3D sound artist/designer.
Christian has been teaching in higher education since 2016; he currently lectures on sound design and audio production in the Audio Production BA degree at SAE Institute, London.
Envelop is a nonprofit organization that amplifies the connective power of music through immersive listening spaces and open source spatial audio software.
This workshop is organised by AMOENUS, an art organisation that facilitates, educates, curates, and promotes immersive art centred around 3D sound.